30 essentials for an emergency food stockpile

Picture of cans of food, tea, coffee, pasta rice and other essentials for an emergency food stockpile on my kitchen shelves

Essentials for an emergency food stockpile

How long could you feed your family, if you couldn’t go shopping?

I’ve been thinking about stocking up on emergency food supplies since seeing photos of empty supermarket shelves during the snow.

A few days of severe weather seemed to make half the country grind to a halt. With many shops reliant on central warehouses, food deliveries got disrupted by the snow.

More by luck than judgement, I’d just done a big food shop. This meant we could hole up at home for several days, without braving freezing temperatures and icy roads to buy anything extra. But up in Edinburgh, loads of shops near my sister ran out of basics like bread and milk.

Even in good weather, an emergency food stockpile could come in handy. If money is tight, benefits are delayed or illness keeps you stuck inside, extra supplies will help tide you over. Certainly when we tried to cut costs by using up the contents of our fridge, freezer and kitchen cupboards, it made a big difference.

Post with the results of our storecupboard challenge

Researching this post, I fell down a rabbit hole of ‘preppers‘, bracing themselves for the collapse of civilisation or the zombie apolocalypse. I’m not suggesting you stockpile rifles in the spare room, but having a few extra tins can’t hurt.

Picture of a pack of 4 tinned tomatoes, a couple of tins of fruit and a four pack of tuna to illustrate by post about essentials for an emergency food stockpile

Using multi-buy offers to build up a stockpile

Top tips for starting an emergency food stockpile

• Think long life, non-perishable food
  • Add one or two items a week, if you don’t want to bust your budget (or give yourself a hernia carrying stuff home)
  • Take advantage of multi buy offers like ‘buy one, get one free’
  • Switch to own-brands and value range items to keep costs down
  • If kitchen space is tight, keep a few cans under the bed or at the bottom of your wardrobe
  • Rotate stocks to stop food going off, pulling items with the shortest dates to the front
  • When you use something from the stockpile, replace it next time you go shopping
  • Think about storage, for example keeping flour in a tightly sealed container
  • Set aside space in your freezer. I try to keep some essentials handy, like a sliced loaf, frozen peas, frozen meat and fish, butter and ever-faithful fishfingers
  • Choose items your family will actually eat. No point stashing lentils or quinoa if your nearest and dearest won’t touch them
  • Even without an emergency, these supplies could all come in handy for a self-catering holiday or last minute camping trip

Post with what to pack to cut the cost of a self-catering holiday

Essential items for an emergency food stockpile

Here’s my list of suggestions:

• Porridge oats
  • Cereal
  • Powdered milk or long life milk
  • Long life fruit juice
  • Tea
  • Coffee
  • Rice
  • Pasta
  • Flour
  • Sugar
  • Yeast
  • Baking powder
  • Honey
  • Peanut butter
  • Tinned beans, like baked beans or kidney beans
  • Chickpeas
  • Lentils
  • Tinned tomatoes
  • Tinned fish like tuna, salmon and sardines
  • Tinned meat or a jar of frankfurters
  • Tinned potatoes, if you can face them, or Smash
  • Tinned fruit, like peaches, grapefruit, pears or pineapple
  • Dried fruit like raisins or apricots
  • Curry paste
  • Pesto
  • Tomato puree
  • Stock cubes
  • Spices and flavours like chilli powder and soy sauce
  • Cooking oil
  • Salt and pepper

Non food items

• Spare tin opener
  • Candles and matches
  • Torch and batteries
  • Pet supplies like pet food and cat litter
  • Spare medicine
  • Loo roll
  • Toothpaste
  • Toiletries like shampoo, conditioner, deodorant (Maybe those hotel miniatures would come in handy!)

Picture of a freezer drawer with fishfingers, frozen peas, chicken, stork, frozen fish and a loaf as part of my emergency food stockpile

Stashing essentials in the freezer

Possible meals from an emergency food stockpile

Breakfast

With the supplies above, we could have breakfast with cereal or porridge, tea or coffee, some fruit juice and tinned fruit.

Lunch

If we didn’t have a spare loaf in the freezer, I could still use the flour and yeast to make bread to eat with peanut butter or honey, with soup, sardines or baked beans, or as sandwiches. If I made rolls, we could use the frankfurters to make hotdogs.

Main meals

I can’t pretend these are gourmet options, but they’d be warm and filling:

• Fishcakes using tuna or salmon with smash, plus baked beans
  • Tuna pasta bake, adding tinned tomatoes and pasta
  • Rice salad with tuna, salmon or frankfurters plus sweetcorn
  • Chickpea or lentil curry with rice
  • Veggie chilli with rice, using tomatoes, kidney beans and chilli powder
  • Pasta pesto with frozen peas

On the sweet side, the dried milk and flour would come in handy making pancakes to eat with honey and tinned or dried fruit. I might throw caution to the wind and add a packet of jelly and evaporated milk to the list, to make puddings for the kids. I didn’t attempt adding biscuits to a stockpile – they’d get eaten well before any emergency!

If you’re not keen on much cooking, then cans of chilli, soup, stew, curry and ravioli might appeal.

In practice, I’d rarely have only these essentials on hand. I usually have cheese and eggs knocking around, which could expand our meals to home-made pizza using flour and yeast, egg fried rice, cheese on toast and omelettes, for example. Even bendy carrots, potatoes and sprouting onions can make a base for soups and tomato sauces.

Now over to you – what would you add to an emergency stockpile? What essentials do you always have to hand? Do let me know in the comments, as I’d love to hear!

Pin for later:

Pinterest size image of emergency food stockpile on my kitchen shelves

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

14 Comments

1. March 14, 2018 / 5:47 pm

We were glad of what we had in store when the SNOW came -couldn’t get out for 3 days and didn’t need anything really for a few more
    I’d add a secret supply of chocolate to the list!

• Faith
      Author
      March 14, 2018 / 6:52 pm

Glad you sufficient supplies when you were trapped by snow! Chocolate sounds a great plan. I might have to make sure my husband keeps the stash secret, otherwise I’d be tempted to raid it for non-emergency purposes…

2. Jacqui Fenner
    March 14, 2018 / 7:45 pm

Even though in my part of the country, the snow didn’t last, our local village shop didn’t have much on the shelves, no bread or bread flour for quite some time. Fortunately, I was stocked up and had dried milk powder in the freezer. I keep a good supply of dried goods and tins as you never know what’s around the corner.

• Faith
      Author
      March 15, 2018 / 8:14 am

Sounds like you were well supplied! I was really surprised at how quickly milk and bread ran low in the shops. I always have stocks of flour and yeast to hand, so can cope with making bread, but hadn’t thought of stocking up on UHT milk or milk powder before.

3. March 15, 2018 / 7:40 am

Our larder has much of these things all the time, the one item I haven’t stored away is dried milk. However, here in Torbay, with its mild microclimate, we’re seldom snowed-in. It’s not like living in Cumbria or the Highlands of Scotland, but we appreciate that if there is snow, and as happened recently, some cows didn’t receive water for more than 24 hours because pipes had frozen, there was disruption to the milk supply. Fortunately, I heeded the warning of the weather forecasters, and we had 3 x 4pt cartons in the fridge, 1 x 2pt carton in the freezer. We thought we could get by (for just two of us) on 14 pts of milk for a few days!
    I also replenish dried and tinned stocks when we use them, even if I don’t plan to use them right away, so there are always packets of pasta, tins of sardines, corned beef, tuna, salmon, and jars of pesto (and fresh pesto in the freezer) and so forth. Our larder is quite small (just a larder cupboard in the kitchen) but it’s surprising how much you can store when you pack it tightly!

• Faith
      Author
      March 15, 2018 / 8:16 am

Great planning ahead on the milk front. Agree it’s possible to cram quite a lot of essentials into a small space. Since doing the storecupboard challenges, and using up our more weird and wonderful ingredients, I’m now in a better place to store food we’ll actually eat!

4. Margie from Toronto
    March 15, 2018 / 5:24 pm

I live in Canada so I always try to restock before the weather gets bad. Even in large cities – like Edinburgh – most stores only keep a 3 day supply of food on hand. If trucks can’t get through then they can’t restock. We are advised to keep 2 to 3 weeks worth of food on hand rather than the old 72 hours worth.
    I keep many of the basics you’ve listed along with, dried cereals, long-life milk – peanut butter – packaged crisp breads and things like oatcakes and pancake and/or biscuit mix. Jams, canned fish, canned stews, chillies, soups and beans, along with fruit & treats like canned custard or rice.
    My small freezer is well stocked with frozen fruit & veg along with fish & meat. I stock up on most things as they go on sale and I always have cheeses and yogurt in the fridge, and try to keep a good supply of nuts & seeds and dried fruit. I could probably last for 2 months if I had to. It has also helped now that I am retired and money is a lot tighter. Always good advice!

• March 17, 2018 / 4:08 am

Woah my mind is boggling at the idea of stocking enough food to feed for of us for 2 or 3 weeks! Sounds like you are very well prepared though, thanks so much for commenting.

5. Hazel
    March 16, 2018 / 7:24 am

There are lots of reasons why there may be an interruption to the food supply, not just weather, so I think everybody should have a stock of food and actually so does the government- they issued advice about it a few years ago and I know I got a booklet through the door at the time…

Our food supply is actually pretty precarious and what Margie describes in Canada is true everywhere now. All big supermarkets operate a ‘just in time’ stocking policy meaning if there is an issue with delivery- roads, fuel, terrorism, pandemic, weather, electronic failures- the public is famously 9 meals from having no food in the shops. There are also personal reasons why you may need a store of foods- illness, redundancy etc
    I’m not a prepper by any means but it just makes sense to me to make sure I can provide for my family in the event of any extended disruption.

I’d agree with everything you said and add that it is worth getting the rest of the family used to eating storecupboard meals and put them in rotation in your menu, replacing the ingredients afterwards. If a family is used to eating only fresh foods/takeaways/frozen fish fingers and potato waffles/whatever and then they’re faced with a rotation of tinned fishcakes and lentil curry you may be faced with rebellion. Find a form that the children will eat lentils in, maybe with tinned tomatoes and bottled lemon juice in a soup or as a veggie spaghetti bolognese and make it.
    Porridge oats are brilliant, nutrtionally and because they don’t actually require cooking to eat. They can also be sensible- porridge- or a treat- flapjack- as long as you’ve stockpiled some sugar and syrup.

And also water. Not just to drink but you may have no water to the house- lots of people experienced burst pipes after the last freeze/thaw- and you need water for basic hygiene as well as drinking and cooking. And for pets too.

I don’t know if you’ve read Down to Earth blog? She has a very sensible attitude to keeping a stockpile and has written about it quite a few times https://down—to—earth.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/keeping-stockpile.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Down—to—earth+(down—to—earth)

An excellent book if you can get it from your library is Independence Days by Sharon Astyk. It’s largely about not being totally reliant on the industrial food system but you don’t have to grow your own veg and raise your own goats for it to be relevant.

• March 17, 2018 / 4:16 am

Hi Hazel – Great idea about getting the children used to storecupboard meals. My husband and I eat them a lot, but my kids tend to be more picky. Thanks also for the recommendations for further reading – I love finding new blogs!

• March 24, 2018 / 8:53 pm

Woah. My mind is boggling at how tedious meals would be, after eating that limited range of CostCo food for an entire year. I obviously don’t have the right prepper mindset!

6. March 24, 2018 / 6:35 pm

It has never really occurred to me to have a food stockpile, mostly because our cupboards are overflowing anyway so I’m trying to GET RID of extra food. Lol. We will have much more space in our new house though so this is something to consider. We do get a lot of snow here where I live and I hate going out in it, even if the store is fully stocked.

• March 24, 2018 / 8:52 pm

Sounds like you already have fully stocked cupboards! When I’ve tried to eat up the contents of our kitchen in the past, it amazed me how slowly we worked through the storecupboard items, while still needing to buy fresh food like fruit, veg, bread, milk and so on. Good luck getting your cupboard contents to manageable levels.